 Administrative / General / 4056
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 21:17:57 GMT

Nephilim wrote:

Todd writes:

Personally (just me speaking here, as a fan), I would like to see one group
for every last Play Theme (i.e., Arctic, Divers, Forestmen, etc.) within
every single System (i.e., Town, Castle, Space, etc.) within every single
product programme (i.e., LEGO SYSTEM, LEGO MINDSTORMS, LEGO DUPLO, etc),
because I'm confident that the positives would ultimately outweigh the
negatives, but at this point, very few people are actually indicating that
they agree that it would be a good idea at this point.  Which makes me
conclude that it may not be a good idea at this point, nevertheless I do
still think it's inevitable at some point, when that time is right.

I would support this if the LUGNET web interface facilitates collapsing
all of the sub-groups into larger groups.  For example, if I click on
space, I'd like the interface to show me all the messages for
space.blacktron, space.mtron, etc.  Then, if I click on one of
those subgroups, of course I only get messages for that particular
subgroup.

Since this is the way it already works (hooray!), I wouldn't mind
playtheme-oriented subgroups.  To me, it would look as if all of
those posts were still appearing in lugnet.town, lugnet.space, etc.

I do think it's a bit of a needless hypersubdivision, but it's not
a harmful one ... to me, using the web interface.  Someone who
suddenly now needs to subscribe to a dozen plus new newsgroups to
cover the space theme might feel differently.

The problem is that there isn't collapsing of newsgroups for
newsreaders. Frankly, I am having difficulty really keeping track of all
the groups as it is. Perhaps if I had the ultimate newsreader (which
would let me flag messages that I had read, but still wanted to see when
looking at the group, but didn't count as "unread" messages for
determining which newsgroups have new messages). At home it's even worse
since I haven't yet found an option for Outlook Express which hides the
newsgroups with no unread messages.

The web interface doesn't suit me (for one thing, at work, web traffic
is slower than news traffic since sessions get opened and closed
constantly, which takes time when going through the firewall, and
occaisionally, DNS takes forever to resolve, during which my WHOLE
Netscape, mail, browsers, and news, can do NOTHING else (not even
re-draw the screen), sometimes it takes almost a minute to time out - so
much for "real" multitasking (I use Unix at work - well actually AIX)).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com