 Administrative / General / 3926
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 17:50:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Lindsey writes:
I was wondering if we could get an Arctic themed posting group?  The Town
group has only two subthemes, and I would like to see more.

Actually, Town has about 20 "sub-themes," doesn't it?  Everything from Arctic
and Divers to Natucia, Outback, Paradisa, Launch Command, Time Cruisers/
Twisters, ResQ, etc...

Not trying to be stupid, but are those sub-themes listed somewhere or are you
pointing out that there are too many to be listed as subthemes to Town?

What is the
procedure for getting new groups?  Please let me know.  I would really like
a Divers posting group as well, but since it is not brand new I doubt that
it would generate as much interest as the Arctic theme.

What do the die-hard Town folks (TonyK, etc.) think about offloading the
Arctic traffic to a subgroup?  Good thing, bad thing?

Probably, if there's gonna be one subgroup, there ought to be subgroups for
all the themes in all the systems created all at once across the board (i.e.
themes within Space (Blacktron, M:Tron, Ice Planet, etc), Castle (Forestmen,
Royal Knights, Dragon Masters, etc.), Pirates (Islanders, Imperial Guards,
etc.), as well, and also subgroups like DUPLO Dinosaurs, DUPLO Toolo.

--Todd

I think that the more specific we can be the better. Many have expressed
disgust at seeing so many postings only vaguely(sp?) associated with a
particular topic and this could resolve that problem.  If I want to know about
one particular aspect of a large theme like Town or Castle I could find it
quickly.  Not all themes have the same dynamic however.  Space and Adventurers
are generally small enough to accomodate one group, but Town is huge and all
encompassing.  Those who want to build cottages are not necessarily the same
ones who are into race cars, those that want fire departments don't
necessarily build aircraft, those that build diver sets aren't always the same
ones who build restaurants, etc. etc.  I am not trying to generalize here,
just wanting to illustrate the many facets of the Town theme.

Cheers,
Mark L