 Administrative / General / 4078
4077  |  4079
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Subject:
Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:23:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
[...] Message ID's also can get pretty
darn long.  On average they're about 30 characters here, but I've seen them
push 85 characters a few times.  [...]

Whoops, I forgot to hold off on posting that until my script finished.
Those two numbers were just placeholders from memory.

OK, the script finished running, and the average Message-ID length is
29.8346 characters, and the smallest of the set was 19 characters, and the
largest of the set was 104(!) characters.

Here's a simple "print length | sort -n | uniq -c" style histogram:

Count Length
----- ------
   32 19
    1 20
1691 22
41035 23
  247 24
  139 25
1308 26
1418 27
2482 28
3832 29
6660 30
5071 31
2518 32
2007 33
1318 34
  763 35
1167 36
3151 37
1271 38
4676 39
1237 40
  608 41
  618 42
  838 43
  584 44
  669 45
  485 46
  324 47
  360 48
  298 49
  318 50
  233 51
  169 52
  494 53
  349 54
  247 55
  182 56
  243 57
  265 58
  227 59
  174 60
  143 61
  273 62
  223 63
  272 64
   49 65
   66 66
  113 67
   14 68
   18 69
   12 70
   10 71
   15 72
   12 73
    1 74
    2 75
   15 76
   20 77
    1 78
    2 81
    5 82
    2 83
   12 85
    6 86
    3 87
   15 88
    1 90
    1 91
    1 94
    6 95
    6 96
    2 97
    3 103
    9 104

Anyway, back to the previous topic, I don't think that figuring out a way to
virtually coalesce groups in an NNTP hierarchy on the server is the biggest
fish to fry right now.

--Todd