 Administrative / General / 4062
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 01:31:55 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
yasure, then what happens when you start a thread posted to lugnet.foo.bar,
and it's automatically crossposted to lugnet.foo,lugnet.foo.bar, and then
when it gets too bar-esoteric, you set the followups to lugnet.foo.bar?

Yes, the whole thing is based on the assumption that higher-up newsgroups
are more inclusive; that anything in lugnet.foo.* should be in lugnet.foo.

That may not be the design of the current lugnet hierarchy. It _could_ be a
design, though. Having .general groups might be important: under the current
scheme, if you have

lugnet.foo
lugnet.foo.bar
lugnet.foo.baz

then lugnet.foo gets general foo related comments. With the scheme I
describe, you might want

lugnet.foo
lugnet.foo.general
lugnet.foo.bar
lugnet.foo.baz

.

This scheme would be very nice for the .loc tree in particular.

lugnet.loc.us.ma          = everything happening in Massachusetts.
lugnet.loc.us.ma.general  = statewide stuff not happening anywhere in
                            particular
lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, etc = the actual cities in which stuff is happening
lugnet.loc.us.general     = U.S. specific stuff, but not tied to any
                            particular place
lugnet.loc.us             = everything happening in the US; I wouldn't
                            read this much, of course, but the equivalent
                            might be very useful in smaller countries.