 Administrative / General / 4079
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:31:57 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
But anyway, the artifact of message ID's being the only unique ID is really
an artifact of the NNTP server-to-server transport mechanism, which doesn't
traditionally preserve article numbers within a group.  It wouldn't be too
difficult someday to replicate messages via a non-NNTP link that did
preserve the article numbers, so I don't see it as a real problem.

Possibly. But it does introduce other issues, such as the
moving-stuff-around one. And I can think of various possible past and future
reasons why you might want to do that.

But actually, upon further reflection, does this really matter? I think the
linking thing is solved by the exact same thing that solves the
reset-to-zero problem, since this is a special case of moving messages.

(This works for the newsgroup-line-rewriting approach, but not the other
one, I think. Although it might be made to work for that too.)

If you split foo.bar, all foo.bar messages wouldn't actually be moved.
They'd be changed to be in both foo.bar and foo.bar.general. All new
foo.bar..general and foo.bar.other messages would be added at the end, so
the numbers would be the same.