 Administrative / General / 4088
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:09:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jasper Janssen writes:
[...]
How easu would it be for you to set up a test group on one of the test
ports containing, say, some of lugnet.general into
lugnet.off-topic.test.something?
[...]

I looked around a bit in the newsserver code last night and I was thinking
of setting up a virtual newsgroup called _lugnet as a test case, and just
filling it manually with some stuff, and seeing what happened with a few
newsreaders.  Before I do that, though, I'll need to make sure that certain
parts of the system can ignore the group, since it won't be "real."  If that
test goes well, then another group, say, _lugnet.loc, might be another to
try with some real data.

[...]
You still have to deal with non-follow-ups that get posted in the
umbrella groups, though. A rejection with a simple URL explaining the
problem would probably be best.

Yah, or else perhaps alternatively, a message posted out of the blue to, say,
_lugnet.cad could be sent to lugnet.cad without giving an error message.  That
could work for just about any virtual umbrella group except the top-level one
and a couple others like _lugnet.admin and _lugnet.market...

--Todd