 Administrative / General / 4076
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:24:15 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
And it would automatically go out to all the webpages on the net and fix up
the links where people say things like "discuss this on LUGNET" and give a
link to the article they posted?
And it would automatically go back through all the news articles and fix up
text where people said "it's article 3532 in lugnet.foo.bar"?

Ah. Always a problem in the shifting sea of the web. Sites rearrange and
break links all the time. But in this case, there's something else at work:

The problem is that people are linking to the wrong thing. Article numbers
are arbitrary and per-server. If you decide to make LUGnet be a distributed
network someday, this'll be a real problem. People should be linking by
message id.

And it would automatically fix bugs in newsreaders that can't deal with a
newsgroup having its article count set back to 0?

Wouldn't happen, would it? The group would end up with an equal or greater
number of posts.