 Administrative / General / 4075
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:05:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

For practical reasons, it's extremely difficult (next to impossible
in an automated way) to move messages out of a non-empty newsgroup and into
a new one, and it's not reasonable simply to throw them away.

I have the belief that a good, automated solution could be devised. :)

And it would automatically go out to all the webpages on the net and fix up
the links where people say things like "discuss this on LUGNET" and give a
link to the article they posted?

And it would automatically go back through all the news articles and fix up
text where people said "it's article 3532 in lugnet.foo.bar"?

And it would automatically fix bugs in newsreaders that can't deal with a
newsgroup having its article count set back to 0?

--Todd