 Administrative / General / 4074
Re: Y2K problem with lugnet! (was Re: Help! My newsreader's downloading everything on lugnet!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:04:06 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
That's in agreement, more or less, with things I've heard before, and it's
in agreement with two separate implementations of the Unix 'cal' program, so
I'm 99.999% satisifed on that issue for now.

<URL:http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/7/0,5716,48637+1,00.html>

  "an extra calendar day is added every four years, as was first done in 46
   BC, with the establishment of the Julian calendar.  Over many centuries,
   the difference between the approximate value 0.25 day and the more
   accurate 0.242 day accumulates significantly. In the Gregorian calendar
   now in general use, the discrepancy is adjusted by adding the extra day
   to only those century years exactly divisible by 400 (e.g., 1600, 2000).
   For still more precise reckoning, every year evenly divisible by 4,000
   (i.e., 16,000, 24,000, etc.) may be a common (not leap) year."

Boy, that last one is going to really confuse people 2000 years from now.

(-> .off-topic.geek)