 Administrative / General / 4020
Re: Y2K problem with lugnet! (was Re: Help! My newsreader's downloading everything on lugnet!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:22:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
[...]
Anyway, I think the problem lies in a function called dtol() in the NNTP
Reference Implementation of the nntpd daemon.  Here's how it goes (with the
"#if DEBUG" directives removed in this cut & paste for readability)...
[...]
To fix this, I'm thinking of changing the single line
   year += 1900;
   year += (year >= 70) ? 1900 : 2000;   /* Y2K bug workaround */
[...]

Update:  Well, that fixes the NEWGROUPS command all right, but the NEWNEWS
command is doing something more insidious afterwards with date strings.

Still digging...old nntpd is still in place.

Oddly, the NNTP Reference Implementation distro site[1] still has only
version 1.5.12.2 -- no Y2K patches.

Must not be too many people running CNews anymore, but you'd think at least
a few hundred...

--Todd

[1] ftp://ftp.academ.com/pub/nntp/server/