 Off-Topic / Geek / 992
Re: Help! My newsreader's downloading everything on lugnet!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 16:22:29 GMT

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote:
In the meantime, you could use CVS to replicate things.
CVS?

Concurrent Versions System. <URL:http://www.cyclic.com>

It's primarily used on Unix, but there is support for clients on many
operating systems, including MS Win95/NT, OS/2, MacOS, etc. You probably
would still want a *nix box to use as the server (central repository).

It seems intimidating and complicated, but really it's not. Basically, you
check files out of the repository when you want to use them, and check them
back in when you're done. The same files can be checked out by multiple
people (or by you at multiple places) (hence "concurrent") and (this
unfortunately doesn't work on binaries, but for text files) they can even be
changed in both places as long as the changes don't clash. (If they do
conflict, you're asked to resolve the problem manually.)

It makes a great way to make sure you've got synchronized versions of
everything everywhere. And as a side-effect, since it is a versioning
system, you can roll back to older versions if you want to.

I've been using this as a roaming-access solution for several programming
projects I'm working on. And I use it for config files in /etc, too. I'm
working on making a simple behind-the-scenes system for my bookmark and
cookies files, because Netscape's roaming access feature is a) braindead and
b) not going to be in the 5.0 browser.