 Administrative / General / 4035
Re: Y2K problem with lugnet! (was Re: Help! My newsreader's downloading everything on lugnet!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 15:40:24 GMT

On Sun, 2 Jan 2000 05:40:30 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

Anyway, I didn't mean broken in the non-workable sense, I meant broken in
the poorly-designed sense[1].

Oh, absolutely.

The NNTP protocol shouldn't have to define that a two-digit year means
1900+xx for xx>=70 and 2000+xx for x<70.  It should just always have had 4
digits for the year[2], especially when it's not something that's stored in
zillions of places on a disk -- it's just a protocol line command, and what
it gets back as a respone typically dwarfs those time digits.

Yup. Maybe this was back when dates in Date: were also stored as two
digits? (At least, ISTR that used to be the case).

Ah well, on to Y10K.

Jasper