 Administrative / General / 4071
Re: Y2K problem with lugnet! (was Re: Help! My newsreader's downloading everything on lugnet!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:37:53 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, jasper@janssen.dynip.com (Jasper Janssen) writes:
Awrighty, I just installed the new nntpd on the other 3 ports.  Now all four
ports of 119, 1119, 8000, and 8080 have the new nntpd.

Spiffy! Are you going to make the patches publicly available somewhere?

The patches are pretty simple, just line replacements, and the second one
(the ltod() one) is a semi-bogus hack that could blow up other parts of the
nntpd if anyone ever adds additional calls to ltod() that assumed a
6-character output string (I changed its interface from 6-character output
to 8-character output) but other than that, the changes seem OK.

Yeah, I'll post them somewhere on Usenet if somebody else hasn't already
beat me to it.  I already posted them here on this thread earlier, although
they're more in a "follow-along" form than a simple "point and click without
having to think" form.

Maybe there's a CNews newsgroup?

Hmm, is there a CNews newsgroup?  I don't think so (as such).  Now that you
mention it, I think there's a BNews newsgroup, and that's what's used for
CNews.  I should have checked there in November or December for potential
Y2K problems.

BTW, here's another bit of data to corroborate the fact that 2000 is indeed
a leap year:

   http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20000104/tc/brf_y2k_next_1.html

That's in agreement, more or less, with things I've heard before, and it's
in agreement with two separate implementations of the Unix 'cal' program, so
I'm 99.999% satisifed on that issue for now.

--Todd