 Administrative / General / 4086
Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:48:14 GMT

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:30:56 GMT, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman)
wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:
Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:

Hmmm, seems pretty messy to me, especially for deep hierarchies where there
are many nested umbrealla groups.  In that scenario, aren't you saying that
if someone posted to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, the message would actually have
to be crossposted (either automatically or manually) as this?--

  Newsgroups: lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos,lugnet.loc.us.ma,lugnet.loc.us,
              lugnet.loc,lugnet

I'd leave off the lugnet, but yeah, that's the idea. I'm still not
entirely convinced it wouldbe a good thing, though.

It would also mean that anytime a group were split, it would have to die and
be moved to a .general subgroup so that it could be reborn as an umbrella
group.  For practical reasons, it's extremely difficult (next to impossible
in an automated way) to move messages out of a non-empty newsgroup and into
a new one, and it's not reasonable simply to throw them away.

Hmm. Which would mean that you would have to create every single group
as a .general. Bad.

The client side is really the appropriate place for that, IMHO.  I wonder
why the popular newsreaders don't have an option to coalesce groups down a
hierarchy (or some set of specified groups).  I've never seen that feature
in a newsreader except in the LUGNET web interface.

I'd like it. Does slrn do it? ;)

Alternatively, on the server side, an nntpd doesn't actually know (or care)
what group an article _actually_ is in (as specified by it's 'Newsgroups:'
header) when it transmits the article's header and body.  Normally, they
match, but they wouldn't have to.  Thus a virtual group consisting of a

Good point.

collection of other group's messages could actually contain hard or symbolic
links to the article files in the other groups without even having to mess
with crossposting.  In other words, a group foo.bar could theoretically
contain a collection of messages with Newsgroups headers like this: