 Administrative / General / 4081
Re: Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 21:02:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:
Anyway, back to the previous topic, I don't think that figuring out a way
to virtually coalesce groups in an NNTP hierarchy on the server is the
biggest fish to fry right now.

Probably not. Just one that happened to intrigue me. And now, it's All
Figured Out in case you want to implement it in the future. :)

I'm glad you brought it up, actually, because you pointed out a few things I
hadn't considered (such as the fact that splitting a group wouldn't
necessarily mean zeroing it out).  I racked my brain pretty hard back in
May-June last year, wondering whether the virtual-coalescing hierarchies on
the website could be done at the NNTP level, and coming up with a few
possible solutions, but none which were anywhere near as clean and simple to
implement as the client-side solution that's there for the web-interface
client to the groups.  I don't think having .general subgroups all over the
place is the cleanest answer in a purely NNTP-based solution, but it's nice
to know that at least technically it would work without causing problems.

--Todd