 Administrative / General / 4098
Re: random post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:36:54 GMT

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 02:16:50 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:
Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:

Hey, somebody's doing a lot of non-root stuff as root. :)

Shh. I use my shell mostly for root stuff, and I don't bother to start
up a user shell for those occasional highly non-destructive tasks.

Yeah maybe. But there's no other choice in http 1.0, really, is there?  1.1
has a 303 "See Other", which might be better. But what's the state of http
1.1 implementation in browsers these days?

No clue, though I think at least some features ar incorporated in the
major browsers (HTTP-Keepalive). But I do know the important bit is
"302", not "moved temporarily"

barney:/var/spool/mail# exit
exit

Just for you...

barney:/var/spool/mail$ telnet www.hotmail.com 80
Trying 216.33.151.7...
Connected to www.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
GET / HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 302 Found
Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.8 SSLeay/0.9.0b
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 15:11:27 GMT

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Found</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Found</H1>
The document has moved <A HREF="http://lc3.law5.hotmail.passport.com/cgi-bin/login">here</A>.<P>
</BODY></HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.
barney:/var/spool/mail$

What I find really interesting is that the lugnet server doesn't send
along any headers, regardless of whether you ask for HTTP 1.0 or 1.1.

So if you just make an HTML document that looks like a 302, that
should work as redirect (though it didn't work from a file: URL).
(which Larry was asking about in .publish, which is part of the reason
I Xposted).

Can anyone test this, by putting an .html resembling a 302 on their
webserver?

Jasper