 Administrative / General / 4045
Re: random post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:48:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Loch writes:
I just had an idea.  How about making a "random post" feature.
Have a page or a button that displays a random post from the past.

Ha-HA!

So I'm not the only one then!

I actually made a thing for that last year -- on (hmm, when was it? lemme
check...<tap, tap, tap>...OK, got it) on June 23, 1999.  The link to it was
on the www.lugnet.com homepage for about a month, but I took it down when
it appeared that no one was using it, and I had to cram some other more
important links in place of it.  Here's the URL:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/randmsg.cgi

What it does is:

- Accesses the list of all articles ever posted to the system -- the same
  list that the root homepage uses when it displays the 4 most recent
  messages, and subsequent pagings use when displaying ranges of messages.

- Picks a random message number M between 1 and N, where N is the total
  number of messages in the system (90365 at the moment) and fetches the
  newsgroup and article number ID-pair for that Mth message, and looks that
  message up in the big list.

- Sends a 'Location:' header back to your browser to redirect it to the
  article it randomly chose.  So, when you see the article, you see it at its
  native URL rather than from the randmsg.cgi URL.  :)

--Todd