 Administrative / General / 4094
Re: random post
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 01:40:54 GMT

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 18:48:44 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

- Sends a 'Location:' header back to your browser to redirect it to the
article it randomly chose.  So, when you see the article, you see it at its
native URL rather than from the randmsg.cgi URL.  :)

barney:/var/spool/mail# telnet www.lugnet.com 80
Trying 209.68.63.236...
Connected to lugnet.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
get http://www.lugnet.com/news/randmsg.cgi HTTP/1.0

<HTML><HEAD>
<TITLE>302 Moved Temporarily</TITLE>
</HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Moved Temporarily</H1>
The document has moved <A
HREF="http://www.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=8425">here</A>.<P>
</BODY></HTML>
Connection closed by foreign host.
barney:/var/spool/mail#

"Moved Temporarily" is a bit shaky ground, innit?

This also prevents you from hitting reload to see a new one. That's an
omission, IMHO.

Jasper