 Administrative / General / 3921
  Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

Hi Todd, I was wondering if we could get an Arctic themed posting group? The Town group has only two subthemes, and I would like to see more. What is the procedure for getting new groups? Please let me know. I would really like a Divers posting (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Well, the two subgroups that exist at present are already separate groups apart from town... so I'm guessing that would make Arctic a group in and of itself, outside of town... And I don't think that really applies... Unless you want subgroups (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Actually, Town has about 20 "sub-themes," doesn't it? Everything from Arctic and Divers to Natucia, Outback, Paradisa, Launch Command, Time Cruisers/ Twisters, ResQ, etc... (...) What do the die-hard Town folks (TonyK, etc.) think about (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.town)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Huh? (By chance do you mean Trans and Boats? They're not actually part of the LEGO Town System, even though they're both "town" with a lowercase 't'...) (...) Yeah, that's how it would go, to fit the existing structure. It's gonna happen (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Errrm, "Natucia"? Heh, I guess that's some kind of new flower. I wonder what it smells like... --Todd (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Ugh, I would rather have it say generalized, can you imagine the misdirection's you can get into? You were supposed to post it in space.mtron instead of space. I say keep it general! Whatever the great Todd Lehman decides! Scott S. ___...___ (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.town)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Not trying to be stupid, but are those sub-themes listed somewhere or are you pointing out that there are too many to be listed as subthemes to Town? (...) I think that the more specific we can be the better. Many have expressed disgust at (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Well, you can simulate it at home, just follow these easy steps: Make a bowl of chili; Feed it to a dog; Wait a short while for the, um, "product". There ya go! A good wiff of the Natucia flower! ;) Jeff (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) I don't have a "100% complete and A/R perfect" list yet but here are a couple of links with helpful info: (URL) (outdated) (URL) (still somewhat disheveled but more or less pretty on-target for Town) --Todd (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Yep! Actually, I should have rephrased that... Mark referred to two 'sub-groups' of town that already existed... I was somewhat puzzled until I took a 2nd look at the town page, which shows Trains and Boats up at the top, and assumed that (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Thanks Todd for the reply. I was specifically looking for a posting group, but it sounds like you'll be providing one soon. Thanks, Mark L (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) I'd pin down the names but not necessarily create all the groups at once. Arctic right now is very busy because it's new. (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) I for one second this notion. Specifically, I was thinking of requesting a Ninja theme. I look through the Castle group every so often to find postings on the subject, but hardly find any. I have no preference on whether this should be a (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Yah, my thoughts too. I think it'll take a while to get suitable names for all the themes (most are simple but some like Ice Planet 2002 and Blacktron Future Generation are tricky), and having web-categories prior to having groups means that (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) To express a contrary opinion -- there IS an optimal level of subdivision, and if you go beyond that, you end up with lots of small, empty groups. NNTP does have threads, after all. If it's in the "town" section, and it says "fire truck" and (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Yup. That's how I deal with .general - I skip probably 1/2 of the threads. Don't see why I couldn't do the same in .town or .castle if things drifted into subthemes in which I had no interest. (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.admin.general)

I don't think specialized newsgroups for Arctic and the myriad of other subthemes would get enough traffic to be worthwhile. Better to keep it in lugnet.town, I think. -- Paul Davidson Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message (...) (24 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.town)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) My thoughts agree, at least for the time being and probably through most if not all of 2000. Someday, though (maybe 2001 or 2002?) it'll probably make a lot of sense...who knows? I bet a group like .duplo.toolo or .duplo.dinosaurs would have a (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.town)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Well I guess the LUGNET gods have spoken. No hard feelings here, but I do wish there could be more groups with a higher degree of specialization with regards to subthemes. I suggested it just for easy access to certain subthemed threads. I (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) LEGO PRIMO, LEGO SCALA, and LEGO BELVILLE are all examples of whole Product Programmes, on par with LEGO DUPLO, LEGO SYSTEM, LEGO MINDSTORMS, etc., whereas Arctic and Divers are merely short-lived play themes within the Town System. (...) But (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) I would support this if the LUGNET web interface facilitates collapsing all of the sub-groups into larger groups. For example, if I click on space, I'd like the interface to show me all the messages for space.blacktron, space.mtron, etc. Then, (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Of course, it doesn't work that way to those of us who prefer NNTP. (Unless Todd gets really ambitious and hacks in something.... hmmmm... could be done..... *grin*) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) The problem is that there isn't collapsing of newsgroups for newsreaders. Frankly, I am having difficulty really keeping track of all the groups as it is. Perhaps if I had the ultimate newsreader (which would let me flag messages that I had (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) That would be me. I like news better *until* the web interface gets all the stuff news has. IF some sort of magic that let me read (and post) to one group instead of the hyperdivisions could be devised, maybe. But it's not doable, think about (...) (24 years ago, 3-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) I think it could be implemented on the server with a minimum of fuss. Assuming that all subgroups should be included in groups higher up (is this a good assumption?) it'd be easy to rewrite the Newsgroups line to automatically crosspost to the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) yasure, then what happens when you start a thread posted to lugnet.foo.bar, and it's automatically crossposted to lugnet.foo,lugnet.foo.bar, and then when it gets too bar-esoteric, you set the followups to lugnet.foo.bar? --Todd (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Yes, the whole thing is based on the assumption that higher-up newsgroups are more inclusive; that anything in lugnet.foo.* should be in lugnet.foo. That may not be the design of the current lugnet hierarchy. It _could_ be a design, though. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Sure it's doable. It's not necessarily cxompatible with the RFCs, but it is doable. Simply have every request for .space conflate .space.* into one newsgroup, and have everything posted to it automatically be crossposted to all subgroups. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) It's probably _not_ against the RFCs. It's not an NNTP protocol level thing, and this is a private server, not Usenet, so there really isn't anything that applies. Todd tries to stick to the Usenet conventions, but "strays" in a lot of areas. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying Todd should necessarily stick to the intent and letter of the RFCs always, I just think it's a good idea to do so. Helps prevent incompatibilities. (...) Good idea. Actually, I also think it may be a good idea to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Yeah, that's a good idea and would do a lot for making the system work. You'd probably want to have a lot of ".general" groups.... (...) [snip] (...) Hey, y'know, I wasn't serious when the idea was first proposed. But now I kinda like it. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Hmmm, seems pretty messy to me, especially for deep hierarchies where there are many nested umbrealla groups. In that scenario, aren't you saying that if someone posted to lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos, the message would actually have to be crossposted (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Well, not the last one for sure. And probably not "lugnet.loc", either. (Groups which don't exist don't get crossposted to; seem reasonable. This lets you not make those groups which don't make sense. You've done this already, right?) And the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) And it would automatically go out to all the webpages on the net and fix up the links where people say things like "discuss this on LUGNET" and give a link to the article they posted? And it would automatically go back through all the news (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Ah. Always a problem in the shifting sea of the web. Sites rearrange and break links all the time. But in this case, there's something else at work: The problem is that people are linking to the wrong thing. Article numbers are arbitrary and (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) But in order to link by message ID, you have to either serve the message by url-encoded message ID (because people will always just cut & paste the URL) instead of by group & number, or give people some way to click a "bookmark or link to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?)  [DAT]

(...) Whoops, I forgot to hold off on posting that until my script finished. Those two numbers were just placeholders from memory. OK, the script finished running, and the average Message-ID length is 29.8346 characters, and the smallest of the set (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Possibly. But it does introduce other issues, such as the moving-stuff-around one. And I can think of various possible past and future reasons why you might want to do that. But actually, upon further reflection, does this really matter? I (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?)

(...) Heh. Ok, so it might be reasonable to have something that does a mapping, for the sake of the poor humans. :) (...) Probably not. Just one that happened to intrigue me. And now, it's All Figured Out in case you want to implement it in the (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Message-ID lengths (was: Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?)

(...) I'm glad you brought it up, actually, because you pointed out a few things I hadn't considered (such as the fact that splitting a group wouldn't necessarily mean zeroing it out). I racked my brain pretty hard back in May-June last year, (...) (24 years ago, 4-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) I'd leave off the lugnet, but yeah, that's the idea. I'm still not entirely convinced it wouldbe a good thing, though. (...) Hmm. Which would mean that you would have to create every single group as a .general. Bad. (...) I'd like it. Does (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) I looked around a bit in the newsserver code last night and I was thinking of setting up a virtual newsgroup called _lugnet as a test case, and just filling it manually with some stuff, and seeing what happened with a few newsreaders. Before I (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) "_" being a prefix for umbrella groups? Or is that just for testing? I still think I like the .general idea. It seems clean and logical to me. (I mean, why do we have lugnet.general instead of just posting into lugnet?) I don't think that (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Todd, can we have an Arctic posting group?

(...) Because of the "other parts of the system", is the prefix thing a necessary/near necessary step? (...) I don't think it should work like that. Less incentive to micro-classify threads. Jasper (24 years ago, 6-Jan-00, to lugnet.admin.general)