 Technic / 11656
Re: JCB JS220 Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:47:12 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Jennifer Clark wrote:
   I have finished the webpage for my JCB JS220 Excavator model and placed it online here :-

http://www.genuinemodels.com/

Stunning! Beautiful work, as usual. Excavators are fascinating and you have done a great job at modeling both the functionality and appearance of the real thing. I have been really impressed with the design and content of your website, and this page is no exception. I especially like the renderings as they show the inner workings really well. Can’t imagine how much work must have gone into those.

Now, some particular questions:

-concerning the concentric drive through the turntable, would it be possible to put the clutch gears back to back so the teeth mesh, or would this be too short for the turntable? I think it would be great for Lego to release more parts to allow concentric drive shafts. It would be great for planetary gearing and other stuff.

-I’m curious why you didn’t use the switch on the 9v battery box for your pressure regulator as in your previous controller. I used this design in my last robot and found it worked much better than the polarity switch. The ‘dead band’ seems to be much smaller. Great job on the controller, by the way. I like how you combined functions with the joysticks. I saw a similar design done by Fabio Sali.

-how close is the geometry you used for mounting the cylinders back to back? It seems like there are a lot of different methods out there on how to do this, some better than others. From what I can tell, you have a brick and a plate between the cylinders. Are they connected by anything else other than the two liftarms at the sides? Wouldn’t the cylinder with its bottom against the plate slide out?

Once again, great work, and thanks for sharing!

Rob