 Technic / 11661
Re: JCB JS220 Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:49:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Rob Stehlik wrote:

-concerning the concentric drive through the turntable, would it be possible to put the clutch gears back to back so the teeth mesh, or would this be too short for the turntable?

It would indeed be too short for the turntable. However, if Lego come out with a spacer part, perhaps one or two studs long, that meshed with the teeth on the clutch gears it would be possible to make concentric shafts of arbitrary length and little backlash. The main problem then would be ensuring that there was enough bracing to keep all the teeth on the spacers and clutch gears meshed.

   -I’m curious why you didn’t use the switch on the 9v battery box for your pressure regulator as in your previous controller.

The small 9V battery in this box doesn’t provide as much current as having 6 AAs in the larger battery box, and I needed a lot of current for all the motors. In reality the small 9V battery box can’t power more than one motor effectively. I’d be interested to see if it can even power one motor as well under load as the large 9V box.

   -how close is the geometry you used for mounting the cylinders back to back? It seems like there are a lot of different methods out there on how to do this, some better than others. From what I can tell, you have a brick and a plate between the cylinders. Are they connected by anything else other than the two liftarms at the sides? Wouldn’t the cylinder with its bottom against the plate slide out?

It is as you see it, and there are no problems with cylinders coming apart. It is very robust, the parts fit very tightly together, in fact I think it is really on the threshold of what is reasonable in terms of lego tolerances.

Jennifer