 Technic / 11667
Re: JCB JS220 Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:52:43 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:

It's so obvious from reading your description, looking at the photos and
watching the movies that this MOC is fully developed. There is not much that can
be done to improve on it! The flaws of the model is mostly in the limits of the
brick, such as the somewhat digital behaviour of the pneumatic system. Still,
the model is so well tuned with speed vs. performance that it can be driven
smoothly - even under load!

Thanks for those comments Tobbe, they are well received since this balance and
tuning of which you speak was the main thing I was aiming for with this model. I
wanted it to be robust as well, and indeed even after I thought I had completed
it back in April, when I exhibited it at the Modelshow Europe in Geldermalsen
flaws were still being exposed, in that case the slewing mechanism became less
efficient after a day being operated by the visitors. The improvements I made
after this made the slewing more efficient as well as more robust, and
incremental improvements have been made in a Darwinian fashion like this ever
since.

Watching the "dig a hole"-movie is an eye-opener. Can a MOC out of LEGO really
be *that* realistic!? Sure, the person that drives it in the movie hits the
sticks in the wrong way a few times

That'll be me. It's not so easy when the camera is rolling :-)

Jennifer