 Technic / 11743
Re: JCB JS220 Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:24:42 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Beat Felber wrote:

When I saw the first pictures, I thought 1x6 tiles on the crawlers would look great. But then I downloaded the action videos and had to realize that the tiles would fall off quickly in such heavy duty applications.

Very true. In addition to this, had I applied 1x6 tiles the superstructure would have fouled on them when slewing, there was not enough clearance between the superstructure and the tracks to allow the fitting of 1x6 tiles.

   It is most impressing to see your model move and dig (I would never dare to use my creations in such harsh environments) - congratulations!

Although your site is - once again - very easy to follow and the pictures show lots of details, there is something I couldn’t find out yet. It concerns the track rollers. How have you built them to realize a smooth ride? Did you use the 16 tooth clutch gears like TJ has in his R996?

I used quite a few of the black technic “axle pin with friction” for rollers, but in fact they don’t actually roll, the tracks just slide over them. It seems to work quite well.

There is more history to the tracks than on the site though; after doing the videos the tracks seemed to have stretched a bit and therefore came off quite easily when turning corners. To remedy this I spring loaded the non-driven 24 tooth gears holding the tracks to keep them tight no matter how stretched the tracks get, and it seems to work well. I’ll put some more information about this on the website when I get the CAD stuff for it done.

   Just an idea for the case you should looking for your next challenge: what about implementing drive, steering and a (remote) control to the 8455 backhoe loader? You still could make it look like a JCB or a Case :-)

:-)

Have you seen the latest lego club magazine? They have a competition in it which links the 8455 and a real JCB backhoe.

Jennifer