 Technic / 11777
Re: JCB JS220 Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:32:39 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:

Hi Tobbe

The functions aren't 'digital like", I know because I too have a digger just
like Jennifer's. You can move the sticks slightly and get a proportional output.

I built my model to test the dual axis control mechanism I came up with that Jen
name-checks on her site (thanks Jen).

Even when operating the arm in the down direction you can still regulate it's
speed if you have a deft touch on the sticks.

I watched Jen's digging vid and I think all she needs is a bit more practice. It
can be tricky as I know when I tried demonstrating the device at a Legofest.
And I don't suppose she has too many opportunities to take the model to the
beach.

I think when digging you should dig with the elbow and use the bucket's crowd
feature last.

My prediction for the future is maybe using different source's of air for
different functions. Jen's bucket crowds very quickly because it's powered at
the same pressure as that used to raise the 4 rams of the arm. If you had a
second supply at quarter pressure the two functions would be more proportional
to each other.

Steve

A comment on how you might be able to control the speed of pneumatics is to add
an orifice to both of the line of the cylinder. This would regulate the amount
and speed of the air entering and leaving the cylinder. Hope this gives you some
ideas.

Thanks

PS I love the model. I think Lego should give you a job Jennifer, designing
models and selling you current ones. Do you destroy (take apart) your models? It
would be hard for me after spending weeks building it.