 Technic / 11750
Re: JCB JS220 Excavator
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 22:17:04 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Beat Felber wrote:

   I used quite a few of the black technic “axle pin with friction” for rollers, but in fact they don’t actually roll, the tracks just slide over them. It seems to work quite well.

Never tried that one - nice space saving idea. What I tried some time ago was to use plates with the studs on the side so that the track runs over the edge of it. This allows to build very narrow track frames. If I remember right, in a very old Dacta set, this idea was used to build a chain saw with the narrow track links.

In my crawler crane I used axle pins with 1/2 bush on them, see here. These didnt really rotate much either, but the bush fitted nicely in the centre of the tracks keeping them nicely aligned. Of course mine wasn’t motorised...

   There is more history to the tracks than on the site though; after doing the videos the tracks seemed to have stretched a bit and therefore came off quite easily when turning corners. To remedy this I spring loaded the non-driven 24 tooth gears holding the tracks to keep them tight no matter how stretched the tracks get, and it seems to work well. I’ll put some more information about this on the website when I get the CAD stuff for it done.

Looking forward to it.

This may be helped by the above method - there’s a lot of sideways movement of the tracks when turning, which is probably a major contributor to the stretching. Do the treads come apart more easily after the stretching? And does it stretch to the limits of the spring loaded gears?

   Have you seen the latest lego club magazine? They have a competition in it which links the 8455 and a real JCB backhoe.

No, I haven’t. So far I haven’t become a world club member. Is it worth to do so, except for the magazine?

Or is there a place on the net where a digital version of the club magazine can be downloaded?

If not can someone do a scan of this page and post it please?

Regards

ROSCO