 Space / 39189
Re: Schpiffkraft Hakenkreuz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 2005 02:49:02 GMT

In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
     I see little to no play value or humor here.  This is in EXTREMELY poor
taste, and sheds a bad light not just on us as AFOL's, but also on LEGO as
the company whose child-themed toys you've used to spread a very adult
message of hatred.      This is sad.

An adult message of hatred?

Do you think that perhaps turning the symbol on its side, putting a cockpit
in the middle and a bubble dome on top, then suggesting that the leader of
some faction my fly himself around in it, might actually be something {other}
than spreading a message of hatred?

Cheers

Richie Dulin

     Ummmmm....no.  No, I don't.  I think that this glorifies what has become a
symbol of hatred in a way that you possibly didn't realize.

     Did you mean it in another way?  Because if you did, I'm not getting the
joke.  I'm willing to admit that, if indeed this is a joke, that I didn't get
it.  I saw the swastika, and the little Hitler made out of a friendly little
LEGO minifig, and your talk of bowing before the Reich and the Fuehrer in the
description...and I don't get the humor at all.

     To me, this hits too close to the reality of a hateful, hurtful time that
my grandfather refused to talk about.  Whether you've meant to or not, many who
see this will see this hurtful message, not the joke you may have meant to
explore.

     Putting aside the philosophy for a moment, and looking at this as a
creative MOC, again, I'm not impressed.  I don't mean this in a bad way, because
I've seen works of yours that I enjoyed.  But this just isn't very cool - my
opinion only, coming from a guy who's never really had a stellar MOC himself.  I
think you could have done better, that's all.

     Dressing it in hurtful symbology to make some kind of joke doesn't help,
either.

     Though you're free to make a parody or statement, either way, I think
you've missed the mark, and this will inflame many who don't understand what you
may be trying to do.  I don't want you silenced, and I don't want this post
deleted - I support the right to speak freely, whether I agree with what is
spoken or not.  But I do want to point out how I, and many others, will feel
about this MOC - it seems to me to spread a message of hatred.

Just my 2 strips of gold-plated Legonium.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander