 Space / 39167
Re: Schpiffkraft Hakenkreuz
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:03:55 GMT

In lugnet.space, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.space, Richie Dulin wrote:
   The Space Nazis™ are here!

I don’t think this is funny. The ship design is uninspired and non-humorous. The Adolf Hitler fig isn’t very striking, nor is he funny either. The description of your MOC is pretty plain, and not funny. The only thing at all amusing is the shock factor, but once it wears off, theres nothing else to keep my interest. Plus, I think this sort of thing (especially that you publicized it soo much(1)) is bad press for the AFOL community at large.

-Lenny

(1) = What happens on JLUG can stay on JLUG - but Lugnet, et al. is a different story.

It is reminiscent of the fellow a few years back made Lego concentration camp sets (created his own box artwork). TLG was appalled! Here in the USA we see so many Nazi war movies, we sometimes become jaded to the horrors of the past. But in Europe, they lived thru that nightmare. It is illegal to buy and sell Nazi war memorabilia in Germany and other parts of Europe. Hence so much of it has gone overseas.

By the way, the reverse swastika is actually an ancient Roman design. I visited a Roman museum in Cologne Germany, and they had unearthed a Roman mosaic with the reverse Swastika design.

I also find some Bible Lego diarama’s to be in somewhat poor taste as well. I am just expecting one day to find a Sodom and Gomorrah Legoscape with minifigs (NOT!).

Gary Istot

Actually, I believe that both the forward and reverse swastika (I have heard the reverse called a sylvastika) are both ancient symbols originating in india. The symbol is found in both ancient Indian budhist and hindu artefacts, and is the shape (from the air) of some types of temple.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Dan Rubin