 Off-Topic / Geek / 5051
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 12:38:06 GMT

First thing I should point out on this thread is that I *do* have
experience developing tool for professional animation software,
professional CAD software with animation and simulation systems, and I
have also been a game coder to boot.

Usability was a key issue - coders are coders, and designers/animator
rarely want to dive in to the low-level guts of a system. Those
wanting to animate here - should not have to either. If they want to
do advanced animations - then yes they do want to understand paths and
a little about splines, but they also be able to place a part at point
A in a gui, then go to the next keyframe and place it at point B - and
the software be able to handle something simple enough to interpolate
between those two keyframes. That should not require any scripting on
a users part, or a description language - it should be just point and
click.

ALthough I have no experience in this area, I have to completely agree with you
here. If I wanted to make an animated film, the last thing I would want to do is
script the whole thing. Maybe it was fine for games designers in days of CGA and
2D but now it would be too slow for all but the most dedicated.

Putting scriptable programming languages in is only okay if you want
to develop something only developers will use.  If only programmers
can represent anything decent, then this format will be dismissed and
fall by the wayside as non-techies steer well clear. In Damiens last
but one paragraph, the majority of Lego builders are immediately
excluded.

I'm guessing that most animation programs convert the animators behaviour to a
script first and then process the script. Is this correct?

We need a format that is accessible to everybody, and easy to use and
build GUIs for (someone has to code them). We also need an
intermediate format to save down the high level definition of an
animation - so it is easy to edit and change. Saving down a complex
script, or directly to a POV script may eliminate the ability to load
it back into the GUI/manipulation tool and make high level changes to
it. It should not be necessary for a non-techie potential Lego
animator to understand how to refactor POV code, or OCaml code, or any
other text based language for that matter.

Could you give some details of the layers of software needed to proccess an
animation? My guess would be the GUI outputs a script, the script processor
outputs the frames, and the renderer renders those frames.

I agree with Tim on using an XML format - which was actually what I
was alluding to with my post. I do not like extending LDraw with
comments either, that is merely a hack not a solution. The XML format
still also allows people to break out into embedded POV code if they
are so inclined. That also means advanced GUIs may be able to embed
POV code themselves for advanced tricks.

I too considered the meta-command option but decided against it. I'd be
interested in trying to hash out an XML schema for this process. If one was made
properly it could also deal with a connection system as some sort of connection
proccessing is neccesary for animation.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Tim

PS. rethreaded to .off-topic.geek where it really belongs