 CAD / 13208
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 18:44:09 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
And I'll add to that the animated GIMP (forgotten its name) is used by
Dreamworks and other big animation studios.

Right. When free software exists and is good enough to
outperform commercial solutions in some applications,
it will of course be used. The extremely successful
combination Apache/PHP springs to mind - lots of web
sites who could easily afford IIS/ASP still run Apache,
because it solves their particular problems better.

My point was that even if a free software title pales in
comparison to a commercial equivalent, it will still be
used if it is useful at all.
Get *any* kind of animation capabilities into the LDraw
tools, and if it is needed at all people will probably
start using it, and some will step forward to improve it.
Right now, nobody knows where to begin.

The LDraw file format, which is at the heart of it all,
is a static scene description language. I think we should
start attacking the problem there, and I would suggest
moving on to a more modern (but of course compatible)
file format, perhaps based on XML which has proven itself
in a large number of applications, quite a few of them
related to computer graphics.

  Stefan