 Off-Topic / Geek / 5053
Re: LDraw Animation - Why MPD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:31:10 GMT

(* off-topic discussion *)

Design and implementation are not as independant as i wish.

As part of the design requirements, i pointed moves should be functions and be
as composable as functions are. Practically that means the language must
support:
1. anonymous functions
2. closures
3. partial application
4. type inference (Milner's type system)

Java doesn't meet any of these requirements.
Perl, Python and Ruby may barely meet 2 or 3 of the requirements.
Scheme confortably meets 3 of the requirements.

The 4 requirements together leave only 3 language candidates:
1. OCaml
2. Haskell (the successor of Miranda)
3. SML (Standard ML)

OCaml is by far the most popular of them.

Why is a Milner's type system so much needed ?

Because of the heavy use of partial application.
Partial application means you can't check the number of applied arguments. Thus
code is very fragile: forgetting a function argument goes undetected, this leads
to code that is clean to read but nightmarish to debug. The solution found by
Robert Milner is a stronger typing system known as "Milner's type system".

damien

Hi Damien,

The correct place for your response would be .off-topic.geek which is where I
set the follow up to in the response post.

I thought you were proposing to write a scripting language, but now I suspect
you mean that people should use OCaml for their programming. Is this correct?

If you are proposing that people learn OCaml just to run animations then I would
suspect that your target audience would most probably be yourself only. I have
experience in quite a few programming languages and I would not wish to learn
OCaml unless it was for a very good reason.

Please correct these assumptions if you think they are wrong!

Yours,

Tim