 CAD / 13270
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:37:57 GMT

What I am taking the time for is to try to convince you guys to not commit
yourselves to something that can never be powerful.  Plan for the most powerful
system.  It may never be as powerful as you planned, but that doesn't mean you
are stuck with a weak system.  If you plan power into the system, then in time
perhaps it will be that powerful.  (but dumbed down for beginners)

If I haven't convinced you by now, I give up.

James

That is a good point. Take a look at the .png format. They have made a fully
extensible format which covers the simple, and covers the complex. I would
suggest that any animation format should be based on an equally extensible
format, probably based on XML. It would be quite simple to convert an LDRAW file
to an equivalent XML file (you wouldn't have to convert the parts) which could
then be used as a base for animation. For example you could include variables as
follows

<part number="2001" colour="3">
  <position>
     <absolute>1 2 3</absolute>
  </position>
</part>

could be replace by

<part number="2001" colour="3">
  <position>
     <onspline id="legspline/>
  </position>
</part>

<spline id="legspline">
   <startframe relative="0"/>
   <endframe relative="10"/>
   <startposition absolute="1 2 3"/>
   <endposition absolute="4 5 6"/>
   <continuesfrom flat="true">
   <continuesto id="legspline2">
</spline>

where of course you can extend the <spline> class to deal with anything you
like. Note I left off the rotation matrix for convenience. It would be able to
take the same form as the other position.

Such a format would be quite easy to convert to PovRay (back is unlikely to ever
work without a huge effort) which would be used for the final rendering. You
could also 'snapshot' it at any frame and convert any frane back to LDraw.

Just my thoughts,

Tim