 CAD / 13353
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:23:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad, James Reynolds wrote:

Ok.  So this is exactly the reason I didn't want anyone to invent a
new animation scripting language for Legos!

IMHO there is no reason why someone can't invent something new.
Especially as anything new would be still compatible with LDraw standards
(otherwise the author would have to reinvent the wheel, the LDraw library and
the existing Lego-Cad tools which would require several human lives).

It is something new and
is in danger of: being a sucky 1.0 release (or worse, never reaching
1.0), and not getting widespread use and so it falls by the the
wayside and turns out to be a big waste of time.

Is something is new then:
* if it never reaches 1.0 it's died (no consequence for you)
* if it's sucky 1.0 it dies (no consequence for you)
* if it's a waste of time and effort (for its author) then no consequence for
you
* if it's not getting widespread use that means it's mitigated success, meaning
the tool is useful for some people and lays the bases for future and better
tools that will appeal to more people. you can't underestimate laying the bases,
when thing are uttermost complex (and animation-scripting really is), then
laying some bases is already a great achievement. succeeding the first time is
not always possible, failure or semi-failure is a premise for success.

Isn't there stuff
out there that already does all of what we are talking about?  If
yes, why shouldn't we just use it?  If no, well, let's keep going!
This is great stuff!  :)

If something is new and doesn't do better than what exists then it dies  (again,
no consequence).

It is something new and
is in danger of:

Where is the danger? Do we look so dangerous? My opinion is that you are
overreacting because you anticipate much too far. You anticipate the community
is splitting. That's not what i see, what i see here everyday is friendly people
exchanging many exciting ideas. May be 1% of these will see the light of day, so
you don't need to overreact just because the other 99% are crappy. You simply
can't have the 1% good ideas implemented if anyone can't express their 99%
foolish dreams.

There is this forum to discuss anything.
There are commitees to define and protect the standards.
None of the 2 is a danger, there are just complementary, they balance innovation
and the protection of the user time-investment.
Both are necessary.

Regards,

- damien

web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/