 CAD / 13276
Re: LDraw Animation - Why MPD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 01:55:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Damien Guichard wrote:

* output would be a unique MPD file, each animation step being separated by a
CLEAR statement

What's the Pro with MPD files in this case? My experince is that it makes
programming much, much more difficult, and the gain is...(?) In LDA, I inlined
all submodels into one model DAT* file for each Frame, and then one Master DAT
file that calls all Frames separated by a STEP and a CLEAR statement.

*(Today I would of course have given them the LDR extension...)

Not really a big deal, i could change my mind if that's too difficult for me to
program.

The Pros:
* no change to existing standard material
* unlimited expressive power

The Cons:
* previous POV work would be not supported
* advanced OCaml programming quickly ressembles academic math work

* and yet another programming syntax to learn...

It's much worse than a new syntax.
A whole new, entirely different programming paradigm to learn.
A whole new program semantic.
Almost any programming skill you have would vanish in planned obsolescence.
You would have to restart from scratch, using only modern math background.

When i say academic i really mean academic:
1. Most important notion is recurrence theorem
2. Another important notion is anonymous functions
3. As far as possible, loops and variable assignments are banned!

But i also said no elitism: the basic usage would have basic syntax.
I could even add a preprocessor for those who don't like the syntax.
A friend advised me it may be necessary to provide a preprocessor for smooth
transition to more powerful concepts that people don't intuitively master.

damien

my lego web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/