 CAD / 13271
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:34:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
Plan for the most powerful system.

That's also my approach.

I have never used any animation system.
I don't know what are the best animation concepts.
As a programmer i only know what i can eventually do (my skills), what is my
preferred approach (my talent) and what i consider as good practice (my
methodology).

Here is the architecture i envision for LDraw animation.

Constraints i would respect:
* no LDraw extension: i hate extensions and especially comments as statements
* use MPD files as input, may be with ROTATION points as MLCad do
* would insert an animation-scripting layer between LDR files and POV files
* no new file format, no XML, just programming
* use POV-Ray as a renderer

Thus the whole problem would be confined within the animation layer and would
not alter any existing standard.
Once the problem confined i could propose a solution.

Some directions i would explore:
* use expressions rather than statements, expressions are just more...
expressive
* use OCaml as the interpreter, so i wouldn't have to write an interpreter, i
wouldn't have to invent yet another scripting language, any LDraw scripting
would be OCaml programming
* a composite data model would be loaded from a standard MPD file
* movements would be fonctions, thus you could compose moves by function
composition
* the main module would be high-order functions for highly skilled programmers,
to achieve highly complex tasks
* user-friendliness would be derived from the high-order functions by
partially-applicating them with common-used parameters
* user documentation would progress from basic usage to high-order functions
* output would be a unique MPD file, each animation step being separated by a
CLEAR statement

The Pros:
* no change to existing standard material
* unlimited expressive power

The Cons:
* previous POV work would be not supported
* advanced OCaml programming quickly ressembles academic math work

But there would be no elistism: end-users and programmers would use the same
language, just not at the same skill level. And let's be honest:
1. if you are fluent with vectors and matrices then you have math skills
2. anything really advanced quickly ressembles engineering or academic work
3. nothing prevents someone to build a GUI that outputs text as MLCad do

I speak, i speak, but first i still have to deliver Peeroml...

damien

lego web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/