 CAD / 13263
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:02:58 GMT

In lugnet.animation, James Reynolds wrote:
Second, if he (or someone else) does pay heed to this thread, I want to
discourage extending the LDraw file format to include time info or creating a
brand new format from scratch.

If we followed that logic, LDraw would never have existed in the first place.
When LDraw started out, there were already plenty of 3D modeling systems.  Heck,
there were already lego-brick subsets of 3D modeling systems.

Yet LDraw does exist, and it seems to be a useful thing to have.

I think a big part of the reason LDraw has survived and thrived is because of
the simplicity of the file format.  Implementing an LDraw renderer is a
'relatively' simple process (if you've got a graphics package handy), so more
people are encouraged to write programs to work with the LDraw format.  But
LDraw doesn't allow all the powerful operations of POV-Ray.

Likewise, an LDraw-based animation wouldn't have all the power of POV-Ray.  But
it would be simple, and could do basic things.  So maybe an LDraw-based 'minifig
walk' would have a minifig twiddling its legs.  But for a lot of people, that
would be sufficient.  And people who want more, would go on to animating in
POV-Ray.

Steve