 CAD / 13277
Re: LDraw Animation - Why MPD?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:18:51 GMT

* and yet another programming syntax to learn...

It's much worse than a new syntax.
A whole new, entirely different programming paradigm to learn.
A whole new program semantic.
Almost any programming skill you have would vanish in planned obsolescence.
You would have to restart from scratch, using only modern math background.

When i say academic i really mean academic:
1. Most important notion is recurrence theorem
2. Another important notion is anonymous functions
3. As far as possible, loops and variable assignments are banned!

But i also said no elitism: the basic usage would have basic syntax.
I could even add a preprocessor for those who don't like the syntax.
A friend advised me it may be necessary to provide a preprocessor for smooth
transition to more powerful concepts that people don't intuitively master.

damien

my lego web page: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/alphablock/

Damien,

I don't see the advantage in using OCaml over any other language. Particularly
ones people are more familiar with. Could you outline any advantages is might
have over, say, Perl (which also has inbuilt strings and memory management).

Tim