 CAD / 13203
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 17:20:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Damien Guichard wrote:
Take a look at Maya and Lightwave.  The concepts have been all thought out
already.

www.alias.com/maya

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave

Can't have a look, would be too expensive for me.

At the very least you should read the manuals to see what techniques the artists
use.  They aren't stupid.  And they do apply to Lego animation because I have
read some manuals so I know.

Lightwave is only $895, which isn't that expensive (how much does Windows cost?
How much does Photoshop cost?  How much does Flash cost?  How much does
Dreamweaver cost?).

Learning Lightwave is a different issue.  Paying $895 for the software is much
easier than learning it.  People could even get a cracked version for free, but
guess what?  Most likely they would never learn how to use it well enough to
make anything.  If you aren't willing to pay the $, will you be willing to spend
the time needed to learn how to make animations at all?  It is a huge investment
of time.

I'm surprised you aren't aware of what POV-Ray can do:

http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/pov_ray_tutorial/
http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/animatable_models/
http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/minifig/

This is only a partial picture of what POV-Ray can do since I'm not displaying
works in progress that would probably blow your mind.

James