 CAD / 13314
Re: My humble opinion about LDraw animation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 2005 05:07:00 GMT

Right - now to James' question:

To animate, you should probably use paths. Consider the format as
objects, which are stored as XML.

Ok, you lost me.  Are you talking about paths as lines and curves or paths as in
parent.child.grandchild?  Because you mention XML and objects, I'm confused
(could mean XPath or OO...).

For the intial scene, the LDraw
parts (LDR files, or an MPD file and specific part) would be
referenced and given object IDs in the top level of the file. The
parts object would also include enough information to optionally
override the default origin or orientation - which may make animating
some components easier.

Yes!  I talk about overriding default origin here:
http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/animatable_models/

The paths would be a collection of line
segment objects which may be lines, arcs, splines/b-splines, and for
the sake of interpolation, should be represented internally in
parametric terms. Each part can then be assigned to follow a path.

I'm pretty sure you means paths as lines and curves, but I'm having a hard time
visualizing what you are describing.

A simpler graph would be used to represent each axis of rotation -
which could be viewed as a graph, or the object simply rotated in the
UI at certain keyframes. Rotations can get complicated - most 3D
people are aware of gimbal lock

Ah.  So that is what it is called.  Yes, I've gone crazy because of it.

Keyframes would then be created as objects to which nodes along the
paths or graphs may be assigned. The nodes themselves are a collection
of objects inside the path container objects. The actual keyframe
objects would store the timecodes, and once read into an API, probably
have backrefs to the nodes that are assigned to it.

I'm lost. I've been reading about MEL, and I was VERY surprised to see that MEL
uses a clock just like POV-Ray.  It makes me wonder if the 2 systems aren't that
different.

Anyway, so I think I know what you mean by nodes and objects.  I know Maya has
history nodes.  Does it also use keyframe nodes?  Is that what you are referring
to?

What would your description actually look like formated as XML?  Here is my
guess:

<model objectid=1>
  <part color=bla origin=bla orientation=bla pathid=1 />
</model>
<path objectid=1>
  <segment type=arc otherinfo=bla>
    <node objectid=1keyframeid=1 />