 Events / BrickFest / 2898
Re: Announcements & Results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 15:45:43 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Brian Davis wrote:
(First, before I even get the the message, THANK YOU LARRY & everyone else
involved in bringing Brickfest to LUGNET as fast as you did.

It was quite interesting to sit behind Larry and watch him type, flip windows,
send, and generally still manage to keep up with what was going on.  Nice job,
lar

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Technic - John Barnes (not all decided yet)

I want to thank John for doing his usual fine job of running the events.  Not
only did he build all the things used for the Mindstorms challenges, but he did
some building of his own.  I know my nephew LOVED the train mounted camera.

John built entries for all the events, but because he made the rules, and built
the 'things', he disqualified himself from winning any events.

Ocean Crossing

   I'd love to hear about all the various ways people tried this one. And about
how long it took to clean up the peanuts after some of the runs.

I don't think we can answer your last question, yet...

This event was quite interesting.  There were several entries, but when the
pratice runs started (about 11:00 am) NONE of them could make it through the
peanuts.  The main event was 3:00, so several people spent several hours
rebuilding robots.

John & Gabe both had entries that were like a "walker" that used it's body, and
two outside legs to try to stay on top of the peanuts.  While John's worked fine
in pratice, it was never able to cross the ocean while it was being timed.  Gabe
had one successful run of about 30 seconds, giving him third place as one of
only three entries to cross the ocean.

Both David Schilling and I had entries that used big wheels.  Mine used
double-bend liftarms and RC Buggy motors, while David's were made of axles &
axle joiners, and were driven by a Spybot.  During the timed event, mine made it
across twice, with times of about 4 to 8 seconds, while David's entry (which was
designed and built the morning of the event) was lost at sea in all it's
attempts.

A couple entries were tripped up by the rules, because the peanuts were a little
deeper than expected.  These entries were designed to drive along the bottom,
under the ocean, and come out the other side.  However, the angle at the bottom
was sharper than expected, so they would dive down into the peanuts (really
fast, thanks to RC Buggy motors), and would hit the bottom with a loud THUMP,
never to be seen again!

Bob Hayes had one of these entries, which was a really nice wedge shapped entry.
I think he ran the robot about twenty times that day, and it never once came
out...  with one exception.  On the second of it's three timed runs, it hit the
bottom with it's usual THUMP, and then managed to continue out the other side,
in about 2.5 seconds.  It only made it out of the ocean once the entire day, but
that was exactly the number of times it needed to work in order to win!

Nice job Bob.

Sumo Chase (line Following and Sumo)

   How many had specially-designed 'bots for this, as oppossed to re-programed
"standard" sumobots?

None.  All of the Sumo Chaser robots also entered the regular sumo event on
Sunday.

I think the winning robot, also turned out to be the fastest robot.

In Sunday's Sumo event, there were actually a couple robots that were withdrawn
from the competition, because there were TOO MANY robots (10?) so having
everyone battle each other robot would have taken quite a while.

The robots that were withdrawn were not actually legal entries, for various
reasons.  One was a little overweight, and the other used a non-LEGO processor.

Turns out the same robot won both sumo events.  I'm sure you don't want to hear
all the details about that robot, especially knowing the sumo event in Ann Arbor
Mi. is just a few weeks away...  :)

Neatest thing in the room based on popular vote:

The connect four robots are always very popular.  Next time, I need to move them
away from the door, so people can get into the room...

One vote for this was for Steve (not his creations but HIM!)

After Sunday's sumo event, I was also interviewed for Danish tv.  (sounds like a
breakfast show...)

It was a lot of fun
Steve