 Events / BrickFest / 2886
Re: Keynote presentation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:33:47 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Joe Strout wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Allan Bedford wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Larry Pieniazek wrote: ...
Special Brick master WElcome package
- LEGO Digital Designer CD-ROM
- 150 Hard to Find Elements
- 5 new sets mailed to members
- 6 collectibel issues of "LEGO Brick Master" - the premium magazine
  - Building Tips/interviews with LEGO master builders
  - special BM models
  - Sneak Peeks at new sets before relased
  - for BM only poroduc ofters
  - Exclusive content
- 6 Bionicle comic books a year ...
Fun stuff indeed!  This is (for me) the most exciting news I've heard in a
while.  I really look forward to this.  More details would be nice, but even
just what is listed here suggests something that, like the comic, might help to
draw more adults into/back into the hobby.

I think it's great too, though I think it would do better at attracting AFOLs if
you left out the Bionicle comic book.

I wouldn't have included it in the list, if I were creating this, but then again
we don't know the exact audience they are going after.  Perhaps they are trying
to appeal to both kids and adults.

I certainly would not want my neighbors
to see me carrying that back from the comic book, and I readily confess that
Bionicle is the one part of the LEGO universe that leaves me completely baffled.

You could always give the comics to a neighbourhood kid.

(Are there many adults who "get" Bionicle?  I sure don't...)

I don't 'get' it, but then it's not aimed at me.  I see kids who do get it and
do love it and if it's helped sales over the last couple years, then I'm all for
it.  Keeping the company financially healthy just means more sets from other
themes can continue to be released.

However, an AFOL-oriented LEGO magazine is a fantastic idea.  Scale train
modelers have their glossy periodicals, why shouldn't we?

My wife is a quilter.  Any given month she could (if we were wealthy) easily buy
no less than 2 dozen different quilting magazines.  I keep searching the shelves
for a LEGO mag, but of course it's never there.  :)

Meccano builders had a company produced magazine for many years.  I still
believe that a printed magazine, appealing to adult builders, is a possibility
that *could* work. Unfortunately I think this community was soured on the idea
of a printed magazine when things fell apart for Bricks magazine.  But I hope
someone rekindles that idea someday, if this mag from LEGO doesn't already begin
to do that.  I hope one, or the other, or both eventually find their ways into
adult hands everywhere.

Maybe I'm the only one who still likes getting a printed magazine in the mail,
I'm not sure.  I know I love it when the Brick Issue arrives from England.

Best regards,
Allan B.

Setting follow-ups to lugnet.lego since this is no longer directly related to
BrickFest.