 Events / BrickFest / 1070
Re: Brad J Brickfest 2002 Keynote Speech synopsis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 03:38:00 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Richard Marchetti writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, James Brown writes:
They neither said it was smart or stupid, just that it was.

I didn't say they said anything of the kind.  I think I am allowed to
characterize their actions in whatever manner I care to; just as you are
allowed to pose inane, well-known, trick questions.

His question was no more inane than your comments, and perhaps a bit less,
since it's illuminative of some doubletalk on your part.

I am going to guess that very few people imagined that this accessory pack
would be available for so short a time.  If LD knew it was going to be a
short run, they might have given everyone the heads up by labelling the item
"new, limited supply!" rather than just "new!" in the spring catalogue.
Again, the usual mismanagement of available information.

I disagree strenuously that it was mismanagement.

If they had done that, some small number of people would have bought the
entire supply up and made a small fortune marking them up on BrickLink(tm).
(and you know that there are a handful of people that between them could
have raised the money to do it!)

None for kids, and none for you because you wouldn't pay the necessary price
once they were on BL.

Is that really preferable? Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

This is exactly what Brad alluded to at a different point in his talk, that
they don't want to enable people to profiteer from scarcity. BL

No, keeping the exact number of shots available confidential was good for
the hobby, and good for all those kids that got a chance to make some neat
creations with one or two packs. Shrewd management, not mismanagement.

Do I wish that LD had the brief to make more molds? Yes. With all my heart!

Should they? Maybe. I think it would be nice indeed. I think I could make a
business case for it if I had access to the right info and people... :-)

Do they? No. Get over it.

Richard, you're a much nicer and smarter guy than I used to think you were,
but every now and then you lapse back into your old ways. Too bad, really,
because it's pretty boring hearing the same old same old from you when you
do. You're much more interesting if you don't.