 Events / BrickFest / 1107
Re: Brad J Brickfest 2002 Keynote Speech synopsis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 02:46:26 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Gregory J. Overkamp writes:
Lego doesnt do military.  Really.  So a set like 6762 Fort Legoredo, 6271
Imperial Flagship, or 6280 Aramada Flagship are not military based sets?
While Lego may insist these are based in other themes like pirates or
western, all three of these sets have clear military backgrounds.  Perhaps
some clarification, such as "lego does not plan on making a military theme
in the near future" would have been more appropriate.
BTW, a statement like this reminds me of an interview a lego official gave
almost a decade or so ago.  In it, it was stated lego has not made any guns
or gun molds before.  This was in reference to legos being nonvoilent toys.
Then a year later the pirate theme came out with muskets and flintlock
pistols.  I would not be surprised if military sets are in legos future, the
question is really when.

Yeah, I always take that with a grain of salt too.  I figure what they
really mean is, "LEGO doesn't do military themes that your son [or daughter]
could actually go die in."

--Todd