 Events / BrickFest / 1004
Re: Brad J Brickfest 2002 Keynote Speech synopsis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 21 Jul 2002 14:37:18 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Manfred Moolhuysen writes:
...and I've just found a gallery by Kevin Loch showing the the new Santa Fe
car sets acually being present on Brickfest 2002.

Can someone of the attendies please elaborate on how the base(plate) of the
Santa Fe cars have been constructed to achieve the length of 32 studs?

I have one in my hand as I type this. It's glued up... so you can't
disassemble it to be 100% sure, but it uses 28 stud train bases. There are 2
2x6s stacked (or a 2x6 and 2 1x6s, it varies from car to car and end to end)
in dark grey at each end. Since the trucks carry the faux end tumblehome
(body side skirt end piece), they need to be able to pivot on that so studs
up would not work. The tumblehome is SNOT (upside down) so it's plate bottom
rubbing against plate bottom.

Very clever design (did you expect anything less from James Mathis???!!!!)
as the buffer plate itself is normal, and extends out two studs on a shank
from the truck itself. The tumblehome wraps around the shank and is held in
place by a 1x4 plate with vertical bar down that plugs into the wheelset
bottom, with the bar end nestling between two studs of the upside down
tumblehome

It's harder to describe than it is to see in person.

I am not sure LDrawing it to make it clear at this point would be allowed or
not.. its not that far off that we all will be able to buy it... I know I'll
be getting lots of them!