 Events / BrickFest / 1112
Re: Brad J Brickfest 2002 Keynote Speech synopsis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 03:31:26 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Jeff Stembel writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Gregory J. Overkamp writes:
Lar transcribed:

?: Military?
A: Lego don't do military!

<snip>

Lego doesnt do military.  Really.  So a set like 6762 Fort Legoredo, 6271
Imperial Flagship, or 6280 Aramada Flagship are not military based sets?

No, Lego doesn't do *modern* military.  You won't be seeing tanks and F-16s
until they are totally obsolete, like the Sopwith Camel is, if even then.

People do talk faster than I can type. (1) But in some cases I got what was
said word for word.

This is one of those cases (2). You could sort of tell that Brad was semi
expecting the question and had a snap answer ready to go. (the "maybe" in
answer to "are you going to announce something" was another one) which I
repeated verbatim, right down to the deliberate use of don't instead of doesn't.

It got a laugh, and the questions rolled on.

Maybe next year the questioner who asks this canonical(3) question will have
to phrase it more carefully, I for one would dearly love to dig deeply into
the whole no guns, muskets and pistols, machine guns on the sopwith etc.
with a LEGO person but suspect it would not be a fruitful discussion, this
is an area where you probably won't get a straight answer.

1 - I know, I know, it's hard to believe, but it's true.
2 - for the answer anyway, someone was asking me a question so I missed who
the questioner was and what the start of the question was, some people
really mumbled! Shame on them!
3 - and you KNOW it's canonical, it always does get asked.