 Events / BrickFest / 1036
Re: Brad J Brickfest 2002 Keynote Speech synopsis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:53:57 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
The Super Chief is a train, not a locomotive. A locomotive by itself is not
a train. Hence this locomotive is not going to be called the SFSC by me. Ever.

Actually, technically I think a locomotive can be a train. Normally,
anything running on the mainline is a train, whether it is a single
locomotive, or a locomotive pulling a number of cars.

On the other hand, the Super Chief is the name of a particular train
which would never operate on the mainline without a full consist of
cars...

I think most model railroaders would tend to go more with Larry's
definition of a train though, even though it's not absolutely
prototypically correct.

Note that the prototype needs it's definition of a train in order to
make the rules of operation unambiguous (trains have certain rights and
responsibilities, which are not any different just because there aren't
any cars being pulled by a locomotive).

FUT: lugnet.trains

Frank