 Events / BrickFest / 1100
Re: Brad J Brickfest 2002 Keynote Speech synopsis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 01:23:28 GMT

"Erik Olson" <erik@olson.pair.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Richard Marchetti writes:
So defend them as pleases you, the writing is still on the wall.  LD is • a
marketing scheme to make us think we are going to get a lot of the • things we
have been wanting when in reality we are likely to get very few of • those
things.  They readily admit that they don't care about our segment of • the
market --

I think TLC does care *somewhat* about our market segment.  After all, • they
did send 7 people for two days.

Brad Justus referred to the book, _The Tipping Point_. What if LD's point • of
view is that the AFOL market is not ready... yet? It was connected to
Time's article, and some other book I haven't read.

-Erik

I think it was in Larry's transcription of the Q&A/Brad's talk that there
was mention of _Crossing the Chasm_.  It is a good book that discusses what
it is involved in taking a high tech product to market.  This book and its
successor, _Inside the Tornado_, are both widely used in the industry I work
in (Electronic Desing Automation, aka EDA - the software that semiconductor
vendors use to design their chips, boards, etc.).

Although it has been a while since I have read either book, I am stuggling
with the application of the Chasm Model (what Crossing the Chasm is based
on) to TLC and their products.  I guess I'll have to go back and read them
again.

Mike

PS:  If you ever have the chance to hear Geoffrey Moore (author of _Crossing
the Chasm_) speak take advantage of it, he does a good job.

Mike Walsh - mike_walsh at mindspring.com