 CAD / 11319
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:26:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:

<snip>

Yes, with a wider audience or a desperate need, it's much more likely
someone will be brave enough to jump in and contribute.  It also helps
if the project seems active.  I tried to generate some activity by
making a portable version of the lsynth GUI:

  http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/lsynth/lsynth/

But that also went nowhere.  Perhaps all the lsynth users have access to
Windows, or prefer the command line?

It also helps to advertise.  This page makes no mention of the
sourceforge project with the source code.

  http://www.kclague.net/LSynth/index.htm

How do you expect people to find it?

I expect people to ask me.

Now, I confess, I don't own the book, so I don't really know what lsynth
does that the other hose generators don't do.  Because of that, I don't
really feel qualified to lead the project.  However without a leader,
the project will certainly languish.  Some ideas have been entertained
in the past such as string, chains, and an LDDP plugin version of the
GUI.  Does anyone want this stuff bad enough to take the lead?

LSynth is an all in one synthesizer in that it does hose and band type
synthesis, and it is stand alone, and the synthesis process does not involve
manual copying of stuff out of, and back into the LDraw file.  Also you do not
need a GUI to run LSynth.  MLCad (or whatever CAD entry system you want to use)
is the only GUI you really need to specify what you want synthesized.  Using
MLCAD and LDraw parts, you specify what you want synthesized directly in your
LDraw file.

To use Fred Glockner's hose synthesizer (admittedly better especially with
respect to true length), you have to have emacs installed and know how to use
it.  I think it also only handles one kind of hose, but I may be wrong.  I know
it doesn't support fiber optic cables or electrical cables.

Philo's belt generator supports only two pulleys (varying diameters).  Philo's
belt generator is only avaiable as a GUI interface, which again requires users
to put stuff into the GUI, spit out a file, and then use that file in a model.
The user is responsible for making sure the diameters in the GUI match the
diameters of the pulleys in their LDraw file where they are used.  LSynth has
you specify the rubber band description using the very pulleys that you use in
your LDraw model.

LSynth supports as many pulleys as you want (fixed number of varying diameters),
where the third pulley and beyond can exist outside the band pushing in.  Also
LSynth can support rubber bands that cross over themselves.  Using the same band
synthesis algorithm, LSynth can create rubber treads, plastic treads and chains.

Don

PS.  We just picked up a spybot and it comes with hoses and fiber optics,
so who knows, maybe we'll discover an lsynth need real soon now...

When trying to produce professional level building instructions that match LEGO
and have a reliable and easy to use process to get them, LSynth is the easiest
and most flexible tool available.

Thanks for writing an alternate LSynth GUI.  I didn't want to write one but
Syngress insisted.

As we speak, I'm finishing up complete support for LSynth in LPub so that the
synthesized files (much larger file size) are only temporary byproducts of the
overall rendering process.

Michael is also working LSynth support for MLCad.

The biggest single issue with LPub is its horrible inefficiency with respect to
file size.  The synthesized files can be really huge.  By adding an angular
resolution control, LSynth should be able to merge many of the spline points
into one single scaled hose cross section segment.

Kevin