 CAD / 11326
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:02:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
It also helps to advertise.  This page makes no mention of the
sourceforge project with the source code.
  http://www.kclague.net/LSynth/index.htm
How do you expect people to find it?

I expect people to ask me.

Then you should suggest that on the web page, or in the book.
People forget what they discussed on lugnet after a week or so.

  [snip:  many, many lsynth features.  It's time for me to buy the book]

PS.  We just picked up a spybot and it comes with hoses and fiber
optics, so who knows, maybe we'll discover an lsynth need real soon
now...

When trying to produce professional level building instructions that
match LEGO and have a reliable and easy to use process to get them,
LSynth is the easiest and most flexible tool available.

Thanks for writing an alternate LSynth GUI.  I didn't want to write
one but Syngress insisted.

As we speak, I'm finishing up complete support for LSynth in LPub so
that the synthesized files (much larger file size) are only
temporary byproducts of the overall rendering process.

Michael is also working LSynth support for MLCad.

The biggest single issue with LPub is its horrible inefficiency with
respect to file size.  The synthesized files can be really huge.  By
adding an angular resolution control, LSynth should be able to merge
many of the spline points into one single scaled hose cross section
segment.

That sounds good, but will lsynthcp still be a separate program?  I
still want to create an LDDP style plugin wrapper for lsynthcp so it
can be incorporated into both LDDP and ldglite, allowing you to
preview synthesized parts without having to run them through POV.
If I remember, I fiddled with some changes to lsynthcp to make this
easier, but we all got tied up in a discussion over command line
options vs meta-command changes that never got resolved.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=8250

Someone mentioned getopt and everyone seemed to like it but me, because
I'd already started working with the original meta-command syntax.
Did that getopt syntax stuff ever go anywhere, or was that just a red
herring?

Anyhow, I suppose I could just check the changes into CVS and see if
anyone notices. ;^)

Don