 CAD / 11300
11299  |  11301
Subject:
Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:06:20 GMT

The LDRAW tools (including MLCAD) are available for free download in binary form. But the source code is kept private. I’d like to offer a word of encouragement to the authors and maintainers of the code to consider opening the source code. This would allow other users who have the programming skills to submit patches to fix bugs and add features.

For more information about Open Source please see the Open Source Initiative Web site. They explain it a lot better than I can.

Imagine setting up a SourceForge instance or at least a CVS server on ldraw.org and accepting patches from all and sundry. The author/maintainer would maintain control over the project, while allowing the LDRAW tools to be a community-supported system instead of having to do all the work themselves.

Think about it ...

--Bill.