 CAD / 11314
Re: Why aren't LDRAW tools Open Source?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:05:27 GMT

Bill

As has been pointed out, many of the programs (including mine) have freely available source code.

Several people have suggested I post my application on SourceForge and develop from there, this has merits and is used by Don with LdGLite, however I have deliberately chosen not to follow that path.

Speaking for myself, I am a single developer who happens to be comfortable working on my code and to be frank I don’t particularly want assistance because MBC is both my creation and hobby.

On the other hand I’d welcome input (assistance) in creating the graphical part of the interface and manuals.

I do however require my user base to, review my current work, give me new ideas and offer basic encouragement or the program will run out of steam.

As to the concept of peer review, I have no problem with constructive criticism - in fact I welcome it.

However there is another item, I’m a self taught programmer (and with nearly 25 years of coding experience) I’ve had plenty of time to reinforce some bad habits. I know my code grows organically and generally it has a few loose ends floating around at any one time and it is sporadically commented. Not ideal for a 3rd party to review.

That is, coding to me is a process of adding new features, making existing code more elegant and (unfortunately) bug fixing. The organic nature of the code development combined with an application’s basic evolution towards greater complexity makes me openly question the benefit of posting the source. Because with each release it simply becomes more cryptic.

As to others using my code, I have no problem as long as it is not plagiarised. That is acknowledge the source and if you earn money from it pay a royalty.

Have you ever tried reading (never mind following) another persons code for custom utilisation in you application. My experience is that normally it is easier and faster to write yor own material from scratch.

I honestly don’t believe that many people really care about the inner workings and even fewer want to review it, so this is generally a non-issue, but as said at the beginning my source is freely available.

Andrew...